New lectern for St Matthew's - 1902

Category: 1902 News
Created on Monday, 19 November 2012 13:58
Published on Monday, 19 November 2012 13:58
Written by Editor
Hits: 2724
St Matthew's lectern, dedicated in 1902

A new lectern for St Matthew's was a priority for the parish in 1902. Fundraising included a concert in the schoolroom in July 1902.

On 29 July 1902 the Wairarapa Daily Times reported -


Last Night's Entertainment.

The entertainment of last evening, in St. Matthew's schoolroom, in aid of the new lectern for the Church, was undoubtedly the best of its kind that has yet been given, and was largely attended.

The opening item was a piano duet, "The Witches' Flight," very nicely played by the Misses Honan, followed by a quartette entitled, " The Jolly Chafers," in rendering which, Messrs Hunn, Pinches, Earee and Craighead gave much pleasure by their concerted effort.

In the song, "Carmen Cita," Mrs Bawson was again heard to good advantage, and bowed in acknowledgment of a vociferous encore. The Rev. Earee then gave his anxiously-awaited Coronation song, " Our Sovereign Lord, The King," to words and music which he himself composed. The words were devotionally patriotic, and the accompaniment, as played by Miss Peterson, musical and more than ordinarily appropriate. The audience demanded a recall, Mr Earee responding with a " little " song of much musical merit.

Mr Pinches rendered nicely, a vocal item called "Polly," after which a duo piece by "Goltermann," for 'cello and piano, was played by Mr Innes and Miss Peterson. Such items are not very common in Masterton, and are therefore specially appreciated.

Miss Elsie Cundy sang two songs, " Memory," and " Tit For Tat," and was heartily applauded. This young lady sings with less restraint than formerly, and improves in her singing wonderfully.

Mr Hunn, who is always well received by a Masterton audience, sang a solo taken from " The Messenger Boy," now being staged by Pollard's Opera Co., entitled, " When The Boys Come Marching Home Again," for which he was re-called, and contributed a " laughing " song.

Mr Innes, as a concluding item to the first part of the programme, played a splendid 'cello piece entitled " Reverie," for which he was loudly applauded.

Miss Peterson, with her usual ability, played the accompaniments to all the vocal and instrumental items, save one, (Miss Cundy's) for whom Mrs Rawson played. To Mr Earee and Miss Peterson praise is due for the success of the miscellaneous arrangements of the capitally rendered " first part."

The "event of the evening" was assuredly Dr Purdy's " After Dinner " sketch, and the numerous recitations, speeches and songs in connection therewith, in which Mr Earee proved a skilled accompanist. The doctor occupied the stage for close upon an hour and contributed materially to the enjoyment of the audience. His exposition of the toasts as proposed and responded to by some notable personages—" The Army,"" The Navy," and " The Reserve Forces " being specially selected, was as clever as it was amusing, and particularly the bashful young man in proposing the toast of " The Ladies." His recitations included " The Bishop and the Caterpillar," and one of Benjamin Overton's touching poems, in the Northumbrian dialect, " Me an' Bill," which is to be found in his book entitled " Queer Fish."

Perhaps the best of all was the way he recited "The Volunteer Organist," and Kipling's "Grave of a Hundred Heads." Independently of those sung in connection with his musical sketch, Dr Purdy sang the song, " The World Went Very Well Then," in excellent voice, Mr Earee accompanying. In fact the doctor became as popular with his audience as he must have been with the New Zealand "boys" when accompanying one of the Contingents to the Cape as ship's surgeon. He is deserving of especial mention on this occasion, coming as he did from Wellington, at the invitation of Mr Earee, who is a host in himself as well.

Taken altogether the entertainment was a distinct success, and those who took part, as well as the promoters, have every reason to congratulate themselves on such a desirable consummation.

05-055-001-First St Matthew's Church and Schoolroom

The first St Matthew's Church on the Church Acre with the little schoolroom (the first "Parish Hall,") to the right. The first St Matthew's Church was demolished after the second St Matthew's was opened in 1913, but the schoolroom was relocated to the current St Matthew's grounds and is now on the northern frontage, facing Park Avenue - 05-055-001.


New lectern dedicated

The Wairarapa Daily Times of 22 September 1902 reported

Lectern in St Matthew's, 1913The new Lectern for St. Matthew's Church, arrived in Masterton, on Friday, and was dedicated for use in the service of God prior to Matins, yesterday. 

It is now about a year ago since the Vicar undertook to raise the necessary money, and it will be gratifying to the parishioners to know that, prior to its arrival, the whole amount was in hand, which— including duty and freight—comes to about £50. 

All who assisted are to be most heartily congratulated, for the new Lectern is a most beautiful work of art, and a very valuable acquisition to the furniture of the Church. The design is that of an Angel supporting upon his wings and hands, raised above his head, the everlasting Gospel of Jesus Christ, as he stands poised with foot upon the Globe. The figure is of teak, an East Indian wood celebrated for its extreme hardness and durability, while the pedestal and Gospel-scroll are of English oak, the whole standing about five feet high. 

It has been placed at the foot of the chancel steps as is the case in several of the English Cathedrals and well-known Churches. 

The Lectern has an additional interest attached to it, inasmuch as it is the model of the one which has been presented to the Church at Colenso (S. Africa) in memory of Earl Roberts' son. 

Mr Earee has received a congratulatory letter from His Lordship the Bishop of Wellington [Bishop Frederic Wallis], who regretted being unable to come and dedicate the Lectern himself. It was Mr Earee's sister who made the purchase for him from Messrs Wippell and Co., the firm which recently supplied the beautiful stained glass windows. 

The following dedicatory prayers were offered upon the occasion:— 

"O, Almighty God, and Heavenly Father,
we humbly acknowledge that we are not worthy to offer unte Thee,
anything that belongeth unto us,
and that all we have, and all we give, cometh from Thee;
yet, we pray Thee, of Thy great goodness,
to look with favour upon our undertaking this day
and accept, of Thy divine condescension,
this Lectern which we now dedicate to Thy service
and for the beautifying of this Thy House,
and grant that as Thou didst put it into the hearts of Thy servants
to offer this Lectern for Thy worship and service,
so Thou wilt bless all those by whose pains, care and cost,
this work has been accomplished.
Through Jesus Christ, our Lord." 

"Blessed Lord, who hast caused all Holy Scriptures to be written for our learning,
grant that Thy Holy Word
which shall henceforth be read from this Lectern
which we now offer to Thy Greater Glory
may never be spoken in vain,
but that both those who read Thy Holy Scriptures,
and those who hear,
may so mark, learn and inwardly digest them,
that by patience and comfort of Thy Holy Word,
they may embrace and ever hold fast
the blessed hope of Everlasting Life,
which Thou hast given us in our Saviour, Jesus Christ. — Amen."


The lectern was in use from 1902 until 1942, when it was destroyed in the 1942 earthquake.